Laboratory Practices – Setup good routines
How to comply with good laboratory practices
The main aim when working with on-farm AI is to produce a consistent amount of high-quality semen doses in order to reach the reproductivity targets set for the herd. Introducing a well-designed laboratory layout combined with thorough lab practices focusing on uncompromised hygiene is the backbone in producing excellent semen which will initiate the process of unlocking the reproductive potential of DanBred.
Maintain quality and increase success
One of the central points within a successful on-farm AI is the laboratory. The basics of a successful AI production to keep hygiene and biosecurity in focus, this includes a proper design of the laboratory facilities as well as clear working procedures.
The laboratory is a clean zone and should be clearly separated from the boar unit. The laboratory layout be focused around hygiene and a natural working flow that optimises production and minimise the risk of semen contamination. To maintain the uncompromised quality of Danbred semen the laboratory is only used for analysis and production of semen.
Storage, office tasks as well as lunch break facilities should always be kept outside the laboratory.
Semen quality in increased if no direct crossing between the boar unit and the laboratory for personnel or tools is possible. Anyone entering the clean zone should at least change clothes and footwear and do a proper hand wash and disinfection, before entry. The ejaculate should always be decanted into a clean hygienic disposable cup outside the laboratory before entering the lab through a small window or sluice.
End of day procedures should include proper cleaning and disinfection of all surfaces and materials used in production. Furthermore, clothes worn inside the laboratory must be washed on a regular basis.
Easy steps to Comply with Good Laboratory Practice
Below a general list of recommendation for maintaining the semen quality and hygiene during semen processing:
- Before any staff enters the laboratory:
- Change clothes and footwear.
- Properly wash and disinfect hands.
- Only the clean decanted ejaculate can enter from the boar unit into the laboratory:
- Ejaculate is decanted into a clean hygienic disposable cup.
- Ejaculate enters the laboratory through a small sluice or window.
- The laboratory is only used for analysis and production of semen:
- No office tasks in the laboratory.
- No storage room in the laboratory.
- No food or beverages in the lab area.
- No smoking permitted in the laboratory.
- Avoid touching devices which are in direct contact with semen or extender.
- Avoid bringing tools or materials from the collection area into the lab (except the decanted ejaculate).
- Maintain proper hygiene and cleaning procedures:
- Wash and disinfect hands between different semen processes.
- Clean spills on equipment or countertops with 70% isopropyl alcohol mix.
- At the end of day clean and disinfect the lab and materials used in production.
- Ensure that all clothes worn inside the laboratory are washed on a regular basis.
Flowers, W. L. 1998. Management of Reproduction. In: Progress in Pig Science, eds. Wiseman, J., Varley, M., and J. Chadwick. 18:383-405.
SpermNotes Porcine 2018 – Special edition (2018) retrieved online 09/07/2019.https://www.minitube.com/en/content/download/58409/1410139/version/19/file/SpermNotes-China_EN_180705.pdf